Sunday, November 4, 2012

Checking In

Whew! This was a nutty week and I got sick on top of it all. No wonder, this was on my to-do list from last week:
  • Pre-Observation meeting (which meant I had to prepare the BEST lessons in the world for my principal to see during my Daily 5 90 minute block...plus, include Marzano's learning goal stuff.
  • Halloween Party (always crazy super fun for the kids!)
  • Observation (I don't care who you are, it's always nerve-racking)
  • Report Cards (Plus helping the new teacher across the hall, which I don't mind AT ALL, just adds to the stress)
  • PLUS 4 Master's work Assignments
So, I got sick and lost my voice, naturally.  Anyway, enough boo-hoo'ing, I created a quick "check-in" with my kiddos that I got from Pinterest and Marzano.  During Daily 5, especially when it's a bit too loud, I stop the class and have them rate themselves on their heart. 

For example, "Give yourself a 3 if you are on task and working well with a partner, give yourself a 2 it you are working well but are talking about something other than Daily 5, and give yourself a 1 if you are not working well-maybe arguing-or just totally off task."  The kids hold up their fingers and put them on their heart, kinda like saying the pledge of allegiance.  It's a quick way to get them to do some self-assessing.  I like it and I'm going to extend the rubric with our learning goals.

 
This is displayed in the class for the kids to reference.  :)
~Jill
 


4 comments:

  1. Ooh... Yours is really cute! I'm gonna have to try that during Daily 5. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhiannon! It's been great when the kids are too noisy. It stops them in their tracks and saves me from telling them to "watch your voice levels". :)

      Cruz'n in First

      Delete
  2. Just found your cute blog and am your newest follower! :)



    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness
    PS - Check out my Weekend Wishlist Giveaway to win a monogrammed Grateful Bag!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippee! Thanks for finding me. :) I ran right over to your page and I'm following you now, too. Thanks again!

      Cruz'n in First

      Delete