Saturday, November 17, 2012

Differences

I have a new little one in my room with special needs.  A few years ago I was in a classroom where the teacher read Looking After Louis by Lesley Ely.  The students responded so well and it was a great classroom building lesson.  I have been meaning to get this book to add to my very own library and now I finally have!  I am sooooo excited.  God has put a special little someone in my room every year and I have become great friends with our Special Education teacher.  (She's such a magnificent woman!) 

So, once I get my Amazon order I'll have a lesson to go along with my new purchase.  It was well worth the $ because as the years go by, my special needs population in my classroom is increasing.  I believe that the best way to deal with the "elephant in the room" is to educate all of the children.  It always melts my heart to watch the compassion and love exude from my little Firsties towards the little one that may need some extra patience. 

Looking after Louis
 
Leave me a sweet little note if you have come across any books or lessons that help to educate your little ones on a special needs topic.  :)

One of my favorite quotes:
"Fair isn't everybody getting the same thing...Fair is everybody getting what they need in order to be successful".  I will be incorporating this into my lesson I suspect. 

2 comments:

  1. I feel like we have that conversation at least once every year when someone says, "That isn't fair!" or my favorite, "Ugh... no fair!" What I love about our kiddos is their ability to understand the difference between being treated fairly and equally and how accepting they are. I can't wait to hear how your lesson goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got my book in the mail and I'm planning my Monday around it! I love teaching about caring, it's the best. :)

    ReplyDelete